Article Review Procedure
Academic Areas and Subjects
Applied Aspects of Information Technology
Search by article
Vol. 4 № 1
Vol. 3 № 1
Vol. 3 № 2
Vol. 3 № 3
Vol. 3 № 4
Vol. 2 № 1
Vol. 2 № 2
Vol. 2 № 3
Vol. 2 № 4
Vol. 1 № 1
18 Feb 2021
26 Feb 2020
Informatics, Culture and Technology
20 May 2019
Informatics, Culture and Technology
MODEL FOR EVALUATION OF SERVICE-MANAGEMENT TOOLS IN THE OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY
Companies providing services for customers on-site require appropriate scheduling of employees and technicians. The availability, skills and experience of employees and travel times need to be considered. In addition, the required information should be made available as efficiently as possible. As a result of an increasing rate of digitalization, companies are changing from manual planning in Microsoft Excel or on planning boards and printed documents to integrated workforce management tools that automate planning steps and provide relevant documents. The market for these software tools is growing rapidly. In addition to established software providers such as SAP and Oracle, there are also small vendors on the market. Companies that decide to deploy their field service planning with an appropriate tool are faced the challenge of choosing a suitable method for the evaluating and analyzing the market. The paper is devoted to development of the model for the evaluation of software tools in the context of field service management in the oil and gas industry. The first step of proposed methodology involved market screening to identify suitable software tools. In the next step, criteria were defined that needed to be tested to compare the tools. Finally, the outcome of the evaluation and additional requirements allowed for a benefit analysis. After the evaluation model was developed, it was applied on five selected software tools. SAP Field Service Management was ranked as the best product for a defined use case. The tools from Odyssee and Salesforce ranked similarly in the categories that refer to the functional aspects. The field service management tools from Fergus and ReachOut are both available for free with very limited functionalities, and reached rank four and five, respectively. The result of this work can be used by companies providing services in the oil and gas industry to evaluate field service management tools. Following the model, a structured process is provided to reduce the time needed for software evaluation. Future studies can build on this work and focus either on different software tools or a different industry.
( email@example.com )
, Master student
( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Vitaliy I. Mezhuyev
, Dr. of Tech. Sciences, Professor
( email@example.com )
software tools; field service; software evaluation; service management
1. „Gartner, Magic Quadrant for Field Service Management”. – Available at: https://www.gmsonline.de/service1/gartner_magic_quadrant/. – [Accessed: 07.12.2020].
2. Koppelmann, U. “Beschaffungsmarketing”. [2-nd. Edition]. Publ. Springer. Berlin. Germany: 1995. 151 p. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-97659-9_4.
3. Kienegger, H. “Kritische Erfolgsfaktoren und Herausforderungen von Software-as-a-Service basierten Enterprise Resource Planning Einführungsprojekten – Eine explorative Studie am Beispiel von SAP Business By Design”. [Dissertation]. TU-München. 2015. p. 17–21.
4. Gould, R. “International Market Selection – Screening Technique: Replacing intuition with a multidimensional framework to select a short-list of countries”. [A doctoral dissertation]. RMIT University, Melbourne. 2002. p.2–12.
5. Yoe, C. “Primer on Risk Analysis: Decision Making Under Uncertainty”. Taylor-Francis. Boca Raton. 2012. p. 1–5. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1201/b11015.
6. Koppelmann, U. “Internet und Beschaffung”. In: BRENNER, W., WENGER, R. (Eds.): “Elektronische Beschaffung: Stand und Entwicklungstendenzen”. Publ. Springer. 2007. p. 23–28. ISBN 978- 3-540-34018-8
7. Michel, A. “Behavioral Supply Management: A Review of Human Judgment and Decision Making Theory and its Integration into the Field of Supply Management”. EMP. Norderstedt. 2008. p. 53–61. ISBN13: 978-3938877173.
8. “Coresystems: SAP Field Service Management (FSM)”. – Available at: https://coresystems.ch/en/field-service-management. – [Accessed: 07.12.2020].
9. Rouse, Margaret. “Salesforce Lightning”. – Available at: https://www.computerweekly.com/de/definition/Salesforcecom. – [Accessed: 30.08.2020].
10. “Odyssee Field Service Innovative Field Service software to manage work orders”. – Available at: https://www.odysseefieldservice.com/. – [Accessed: 07.12.2020].
11. “Fergus: Our Story”. – Available at: https://fergus.com/about/. – [Accessed: 07.12.2020].
12. “Reachout: About Us”. – Available at: https://www.reachoutsuite.com/about-us/. – [Accessed: 07.12.2020].
Vol. 3 № 4, 2020
11 May 2021
Search by author
Information Systems and Technologies
1. Models and Methods of Information Technology
2. Design of Information Systems and Technologies
3. Mathematical Issues of Information Technologies
4. Innovative Technologies in Education, Culture and art
5. Game Technologies, Augmented and Virtual Reality
6. Theoretical and Applied Issues of Computer Science
7. Project, Program and Portfolio Management
Digital control of Technical and Social Systems
1. Adaptive and optimal Control Systems
2. Parametric and System Identification
3. Interconnected Systems and Systems with Distributed Parameter
4. Renewable Energy Systems
5. Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence in General Technical Problems and Electromechanics
6. Management of Production and Power Plants
7. Control Systems for Robotic Systems and Complexes, Electric Vehicles
8. Diagnosis and Evaluation of Complex Systems
9. Simulation of Physical Objects and Processes
Sensor less Control Systems
Software Engineering and Systems Analysis
1. Methods and Means of Intellectual Information Processing
2. Recognition, Decision Making, Forecasting
3. Neural Network Technologies and Machine Learning Methods
4. Semantic Models. Natural Language Processing
5. Theoretical and Applied Issues of Software Engineering
6. Models and Methods of Software Quality Management
Computer Systems and Cybersecurity
1. Parallel and Distributed Information Processing
2. Internet of Things
3. Information Security and Cybersecurity
4. Computer Networks and Systems
5. Components of Robotic Systems
KarelWintersky ] [
[ © Odessa National Polytechnic University, 2018.]